Friday, June 22, 2012

The Linux Nerd Way to Download a Digital Camera

Downloading a digital camera can be cumbersome and time consuming. But it doesn't have to be that's for sure! If you use a Linux system, I have a quick and easy way to download a memory card that I have been using for some time now.

Simply run the following command from a terminal window:

rsync -h --progress --stats -r -tgo -p -l -D --update --exclude=**/*tmp*/ --exclude=**/*Trash*/ --exclude=**/*trash*/ /media/CANON_DC/DCIM/101CANON/ /home/jesse/camera/Sort/

Obviously your source and destination will be different than mine listed here and the temp and trash exclusions are probably not necessary, but those were options I selected when I used Lucky Backup to create the rsync command.

It is also nice that the terminal keeps a history of commands and all I have to do is press the up key till I find my command and then hit the enter key. After downloading, I sort the pictures in dated folder and move them from the sort folder to the camera folder and I am all set.

Blessings,

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment